Prescot Cables recorded their first home league win of the season when they defeated bottom club Garforth Town at Hope Street. Despite winning by only one goal, Cables were always in control and the margin of victory should have been greater.

Despite the heavy conditions, both sides attempted to play free flowing football, and there were plenty of chances at both ends.Before the game, there was a minutes round of applause in memory of former Club President George Hayward.

Cables manager Dave Powell made two changes from the side which lost at Lancaster City the previous week. Luke Edwards and Liam Dawson replacing Chris Rimmer and Dave Owens.

Garforth kicked off playing towards the Hope Street End. Cables were soon on the attack and Jamie McCulloch shot wide from outside the box after 2 minutes. Garforth were quick to reply and on 4 minutes Laird shot from the left side of the penalty area from an acute angle which Reid saved well. Reid was in action again making a comfortable save from Laird again.

Cables put a good move together involving Dawson, Edwards and McCulloch whose cross was headed back by a Garforth defender to the keeper. Dawson then had two attempts, shooting wide form outside the box then attempting a scissors kick from McCulloch's cross which went wide of the far post. It was all Cables at this stage of the game, and after good work from Lambert and Gratton Senior in the Garforth goal saved Dawson's header. Dempsey then crossed from the left to the far post to Dawson who fired wide. Cables spell of pressure eventually paid off when they took the lead on 29 minutes. After Garforth keeper Senior made two fine saves in quick succession from Edwards and Dawson, Edwards scored at the third attempt drilling home from 12 yards with a low shot. Cables could have increased their lead on 40 minutes when after one-two between Dawson and Gratton, Senior saved well from Gratton's shot.

Just before half time, a poor clearance by Cables keeper Reid was hit back towards goal by Burgess. Reid managed to get a hand to the ball and palm it away from the top corner of the net then gathered the rebound at the feet of the on rushing Laird.

The second half began with Garforth's Burgess being booked for a foul. There was then a moment of controversy when Garforth keeper Senior stepped backwards over the goal line taking the ball under the cross bar but the referee deemed that the ball had not crossed the goal line. Jamie McCulloch broke from deep and sent a long through ball for Dawson to chase but a Garforth defender beat him to the ball. Edwards nearly increased Cables lead when he hit the post with a fine shot, and Dawson put the rebound over the bar. Some good work between Gratton and Dawson created an opportunity for Webb who fired over.

Garforth started to come into the game more, and Malanda had a shot blocked by the Cables defence. A good ball from Webb found Piana who hit the side netting with a strong shot. A good ball from Webb found Piana who hit the side netting with a strong shot.

On 64 minutes Garforth were awarded a penalty when Liam Hollett was adjudged to have impeded Burgess as he was about to shoot. Hollett received a yellow card for his challenge. Malanda sent Reid the wrong way with his spot kick but put his shot wide of the post. Cables hit Garforth on the counter attack with a good move down the left, Webb firing just wide from Gratton's cross.

Garforth's Dwyer then passed to Laird inside the penalty area who fired over. Cables Luke Edwards was then booked for a foul as Garforth continued to press for an equaliser as they
enjoyed their best spell of the game.

Cables however finished the game strongly. Dempsey firing narrowly wide from a free kick from just outside the box and Bathurst forcing a fine save from Senior.

All in all, it was a well deserved win for Cables and a much needed one with a lot of tough fixtures to play during the next month.

Prescot Cables: Reid, Shinks, Dempsey, Murphy, Hollett, Webb, McCulloch, Lambert, Dawson, Gratton, Edwards. Substitutes: Kelly, Rimmer, Bathurst, Piana, Barker.

Reporter - R. Quinn